I'm not sure if my expectations on what a game guide should be are too high, and I realize that Diablo III has a lot of random dungeons and stuff, but when I'm looking for something in the guide, and then end up googling it later, because I can't find it...well, I really can't give something like that 5 stars, can I? (dock one star)
Best example would be when I was looking into how to beat Faud with a wizard. I had beaten him pretty easily with a monk, but just wasn't able to put him down with the wizard. So, after dying once and running away several times, I finally gave up and went to the guide. And I agree with the other reviewer that there should be some sort of a glossary, so I could at least know that they didn't have what I needed in the first place (spent 5-10 min trying to find it). So yeah, ended up going online and looking for it, and found it within 2 minutes. Went back, and BAM!!! Faud was no more!!!
Also, if you are currently playing the game, you will know that they have gone through several updates so far (some I totally do not understand the point of). That being said, I know a friend of mine said that another patch, to be released soon, will change more of the game elements, so in essence, the guide is already partially obsolete. A year from now (and who knows how many more patchs), how much of this guide will still be useful??? (dock another star)
I can understand wanting to fix bugs and make the game more enjoyable, but after looking through the guide, I can say that about 10% of it should have been included with the game itself in the manual, and the other 90%, while useful, is not complete, and will be mostly obsolete.
Nice illustrations, general walk-thru, item and monster overview, but again, I expected more. I can't really recommend it for someone who is actually looking for something to help them through tough spots in some of the random side quest dungeons. If you want just a guide to walk you through the main quest, this will suffice.
Oh, and if anyone reading this already has the guide, can you tell me if I'm missing something, or does the section on achievements seem a little too general? And what I mean by that, is it seems that a lot of the achievelment descriptions just say that you have to complete all of a set of requirements, but then leaves out what those requirements actually are (do the following, only it does not actually LIST the following). It could have been better.
Side note: After not really finding that much use for it myself, I ended up giving the guide to a friend of mine, who is new to the world of Diablo. I haven't heard back from him on whether or not it has been of any use, but I think it should help him with some things he hasn't gotten the hang of yet. If it has helped him, add a half star. I do have one other question for those of you who still may have the guide, and that is whether or not it has any references to Whimsyshire? I do not recall seeing anything in there about it at all (ie: What items you need to collect and where, and also how to create the staff and where to use it). If there is nothing in there, deduct that half star added above. Please correct me if I am wrong.
For the most part, I still think 3 stars is fair.